Saturday, February 2, 2013

You Never Know. . .

It always amazes me how much kids change as they get older. Just when you think you've got them figured out, they throw you for a loop.
When I was in college, I took a humanities class that was all about focusing on the person and not the gender of that person. I have no problem with the toys my children choose to play with or what their favorite color is, or what games they like to play, etc. I try to teach them that there is no such thing as a "girl" toy or a "boy" toy, I pretty much let them play with what they want.
However, that being said, when my two daughters were younger, Kaidyn was very girly. She loved playing with Barbies and baby dolls. She loved dressing up and being a princess. On the other hand, Jayd wanted to play with trucks and dinosaurs in the dirt. I had Kaidyn pegged as my girly-girl princess and Jayd as the tomboy. In the past couple of years they have completely switched. Kaidyn wants to play sports, watch football or baseball on TV and has nothing to do with all those girly things she used to spend every waking moment playing with. Jayd is now my princess-dressing, Barbie playing, baby doll-taking-care-of girl. Kaidyn wants to be a jock and Jayd wants to be the cheerleader.
We recently had a mini-dance camp and a mini-cheer camp put on by the high school. Jayd chose to participate in both and Kaidy scoffed at the thought of doing either. Kaidyn had a couple friends participating and no desire to join them and Jayd couldn't wait to show us her moves. It amazes me how two girls who spend so much time together, can be so completely different. It will be interesting to see if they keep to those paths as they get even older.



. . .and then there's Jett who told us the other day that he was going to skip tee-ball this year and go straight to playing professional baseball for the Mariners :)

No comments: